Thursday, July 10, 2008

Stop the presses!! Courtney turns 9!

Saturday was Courtney's birthday! YEAH! We started the day with presents...early...before breakfast. She just couldn't wait. Breakfast (Waffles with strawberries and whipped cream) followed. Then it was off to a friend's house where they were having their second meeting of a summer book club. The book that was discussed was "Prince Caspian" of "The Chronicles of Narnia" series.

After the book club, we just went home where Courtney could play with her presents. She loves books, so she got a bunch of those. She also got a Webkinz collie dog. And Jessica gave her some knock-off Crocs, aka Gators. (For those who don't know about such things, they are really ugly plastic sandals that are all the rage now.) Thanks, also to Grandma Page for helping her buy ANOTHER Webkinz (the Clydesdale horse). Thanks, Grandma and Grandpa Shumway for the great books! And thanks, Ed for the Hopscotch game and Star game. We will have fun with both!

Her "big" gift this year was an iPod Shuffle. Something she was NOT expecting. We didn't really expect to get her an iPod of any kind just yet, but we figured she was responsible enough to take care of it and she loves music. So we splurged. (Thanks, Pres. Bush for the stimulus! Although I think I'm supposed to be opposed to it, the money sure comes in handy when your husband's a resident!) Anyway, Courtney LOVED(S) the iPod. We had thought about a bike, but now it's a good things we didn't do that since...(well, refer to previous post).

Later in the day, I took Courtney and Jessica to see the new American Girl movie. As I was standing near a guy and his 3 girls, waiting for snacks, I heard him express his annoyance at the fact that the first 3 American Girl movies had been on TV and completely free. But then he shelled out $40+ for snacks too, so he must have not been too annoyed....he was there! He bought into it. Well, anyway, the girls both loved it.

For dinner we had baked potatoes and I made an ice cream sandwich/oreo/fudge cake. She had that last year and it was yummy. So she asked for it again. I'm not a cake decorator so it looks pretty boring...but it's yummy!!!

So HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Courtney! We can't believe she's 9! Double digits next year. She's brought our family so much joy and we are so proud of the good girl that she is!

5 comments:

Monica Hudson said...

Happy Birthday Courtney! Looks like it was a really fun day!

Kristi said...

Happy Birthday Courtney! Nine! that's so great. Glad to hear the day was so much fun. The cake sounds yummy! Take care!

Tami said...

Hey Julie, your girls are so cute. I don't think I've seen you since I got married. It's was great to read your comment. Now, we can stay in touch. I noticed that you are living in Philadelphia. My husband served a mission there and wants to return there someday. Taani lives in my ward so I see her every Sunday and she teaches my daughter dance. It's fun to run into my Lambda Delta sisters. I'll check on your blog often and catch up with you and your family

Stephanie Shumway said...

I haven't read your blog in a while! Happy Birthday Courtney (sorry the wish is late!) Megan loves to read about you and what you're doing here's a message from her: "I love you! I miss you really much (cringe) I love to play with you and the secret cats. This is how you know that I love you so much and I want to see you and want you to come over tomorrow at 15....... AND I want to see all your presents- they look really fun. I saw them on your webcast thingy. I mean your blog. We're having fun at our pink house. AND we are having new friends every day because I love friends (She's not kiddin). AND I decided I'm a Siamese cat in the secret cat club and my name is Mrs. Siamee and I like the Siamese song. I saw your cake that you had for dessert on your birthday and it looked really yummy. I know what it is, but I don't remember what flavor it is and I want to try one. I'm going to try one tomorrow. Gooooooood bye!" Wow. That was Megan. Anyway, I hope that funny run-on message was enough to make up for the lateness!
Later Alligator(s)!

Stephanie Shumway said...

hey- can you send me the instructions for that cake? I'm going to make it tomorrow :o)
Thanks!