Sunday, May 18, 2008

Thanks for coming, Mom!

Well, last week we had a very special visitor. My mom was able to come visit for a week and we really enjoyed having her. This is kind of a late "Happy Mother's Day/thanks for coming to visit" post. My dad had bought her a plane ticket for her birthday back in February, and she chose May to come visit...not real cold, not hot yet, flowers in bloom, and lots of green. Very different from AZ. We didn't do a whole lot of exciting site-seeing things, mainly because she's seen a lot already. And she wanted to sew some doll clothes for the girls while she was here. We just mostly enjoyed having her here and being with her.

I have seen a lot of blog tributes to mothers recently and I won't be as eloquent as everyone else, but I want my mom to know how much I love and appreciate her and all she did and currently does for me and my family.

Here's my Top Ten Reasons why I love my Mom:

10.She is a talented seamstress, took time to help me make special dresses and other clothes while I was young. For that matter, still teaches me things about sewing, whether she knows it or not. And now, she is teaching my children about it.

9. She cooked and for many years we ate together as a family. She still makes dinner for us when we are around!

8.She has a passion for the arts: ballet, music, theater...taught us to love them as well, and to develop our talents, which mostly happened to be somewhere in those categories.

7. She is a talented artist. She now has in her home some of her artwork displayed, that portrays some of her favorite things...her children, her pets, etc.

6. I love that she was a stay-at-home mom and was there for us kids "at the crossroads".

5. She made summers fun for us...I have fond memories especially of lots of pool time and library time. ("Alexander, who Used to Be rich Last Sunday" on tape...)

4. I love that she went back to school and got a degree after many years of being "gone" raising a family. I'm glad that she made her kids a priority, but I'm happy she went back to school.

3. Family road trips were made fun with singing, games, merits/demerits (ok, that last one, not always fun) to earn prizes (or not)...

2. Alice's Restaurant

1. She is a great example of scripture study and prayer to me. She knows a lot about the Gospel and I hope someday to know as much as her.

I love you mom! Happy belated Mother's Day! Thanks for coming to visit! (I might post a picture later, when I can find the one I want.)

No comments: