Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Back from trip...

I'm back from my trip to AZ, aka, home...I know that I miss AZ, but I never realize how much until I get the opportunity to go back. Besides the huge factor of family, one of the other main reasons I miss it is the familiarity I have with the Valley of the Sun. Even with all the construction(yuck) and changes that are going on, and how big it's gotten. I still know how to get places. Part of that is due to the geniuses that designed the layout many years ago...North means North, East means East. Main roads run in straight directions, for the most part. I actually know which direction I'm traveling at any given time. I have NO CLUE in PA. I have a newish car that tells me, but I sometimes think it's wrong based on my "feelings". "It says we are going W, but I feel we are going North!" Anyway, I digress....

It was wonderful to be with family, even though 3 very important members of my little family were missing...

Ally and I had a really wonderful flight on the way out. We had a layover in Houston which made a not-quite-5-hour flight into an almost-8-hour flight, but Ally (who hadn't not slept a wink since getting to the airport) was an "angel baby" and those are other passengers words, not mine...well, I agree with him...She was able to sit in her own seat, for which we hadn't paid, but was empty, minus the car seat, on the first leg of the flight. She had a couple of moments of insanity, but overall was almost perfect. On the next leg, I completely expected her to fall asleep. We were on a much smaller plane, only 3 seats across the plane, (2 on one side, 1 on the other), and it was completely full. As before, I apologized, in advance, to the other passengers around me, since I did not know how Ally would do. I hoped for the best (her sleeping the whole time), but expected the worst (too tired to fall asleep, but very, very cranky.) We lucked out!!!! It was a miracle for me. She was pleasant, she made friends with everyone as we walked up and down the aisle a couple of times. She even danced in the aisle for everyone. Played peek-a-boo with people 2 rows behind...just amazing behavior for a 19 month old stuck on a plane all day. When we landed, everyone around raved about how good she was, they couldn't believe it. The man behind me, father of 5 kids, said she was an "angel baby". I couldn't believe it either...really a good experience.

Being with my family was very nice. I had gone out for a specific event which took place on Thursday evening. A very blessed sacred religious event, and extra special because my parents and all my siblings were able to attend and be in the same sacred place at the same time. Afterwards we gathered with family and friends for sub sandwiches at my parents house.

Over the next two days, I was very lucky to get together with some (but not all--I'm sorry) of my closest family and friends. And do things that I don't normally get to do...like go to Sonic for lunch with my sister! Loved it! Spend quality time with Brian's mom! Loved it! Also, go to a movie (and walk out of a movie and get Gelato instead) with my sisters (including sis-in-law). I was able to make some fond memories and I will be eternally grateful to both of my sisters for making it possible for me to go to AZ!!!! And also very grateful to my sweet husband for doing such a wonderful job with the older girls while I was gone! I couldn't have gone if he hadn't been able to stay home. (Is it me or is this starting to sound like my "Emmy" Speech that I'm going to give someday!?!?) Anywho, it was a nice time. Ally was able to get to know some of her family that she didn't previously know. the last time we were together was last summer.

Here are some pictures of us with with some of the family...(I couldn't get many transferred from my stinky camera...so take them as they are... I just realized after I posted these pictures, that Allyson is not really smiling in them. The pictures of her were taken late in the evening and she was having fun with the dog and kids but she was tired...I just didn't get any good smiling shots...sorry!


Me with mother-in-law Cherie. We spent some fun time together and she watched Ally on Thursday evening for us! THANKS, Cherie!

Allyson loves bubbles, and she got to do that with Grandma Shumway and cousin Matthew.

We got together with cousins Megan and Matthew a couple of times...unfortunately Ally was asleep most of the time. Here she was actually awake, so we snapped a bunch of pictures. I'm sorry about the date in the way.

Ally loved Aunts Karen, Stephanie and Valerie. She also loved the "woofwoof" that she still asks about today. This is Aunt Karen and Jack!
Stephanie was doodling with her, and Allyson kept asking for "more", using sign language.


Allyson loved Valerie, who didn't let her broken leg stop her from a night out on the town with the girls.
Thanks again, for a fun trip everyone!


5 days later....my mom flew into Philly to spend some time with us at our home. She had received a plane ticket for her birthday, before my trip to AZ was planned. But we are happy to see so much of her. She is currently still here...until this Friday. She has been to many of the Philadelphia sites and we have no money, so I'm not sure what exciting things we will do while she's here. She claims to want to just spend time with our family...we'll see how long that lasts! We aren't very exciting...Today was too cold and rainy to do anything so we stayed inside all day, except when I took the kids to school and got them off the bus. The weather isn't supposed to be that great this week, so we'll see how the next few days go...but it is still nice to have her here.

Brian is working in Allentown this month. He's not thrilled about it...But he'll learn a lot and he'll do great!

Jessica has glasses now...she looks beautiful in them, unfortunately I can't get the any pictures of her to transfer to my computer just yet. I'll work on getting a couple on...

That seems to be about all the exciting news for the month...thanks for being interested in our family!

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Hey there Julie!!!! I was so excited to see your comment on my blog! It was great to see your girls. They have gotten so big! I wish I would have been able to see you when you were here. Maybe next time. How long does Brian have until he's done? hopefully not too long. Take care and keep in touch, Love Kristi

Ericka Johnson said...

I'm glad you had a nice time in AZ and I totally agree with you about it being planned well. Its something I took for granted until I lived other places that make no sense! Love the pics of your family and Allyson doing sign language!