Monday, January 7, 2008

"Flyin' high now"

(When my sisters were here, we had our "Rocky" experience with the steps to the Philadelphia Art Museum...yeah us!)

Okay, so I read my previous blog and I know what I'm going to do about the party thing. I just had a moment of feeling bad for my friend. And I don't like to hurt people's feelings so that played a role in my momentary lapse of judgement.

So Sunday was nice. Even though our ward changed times, from 11am, to 9 am, we managed to make it in time for the sacrament. Not in the chapel, but we still were there for the important part. Brian had worked ALL night the night before, had returned home around 5:30 that morning. He woke, to my surprise, around 8:30 and threw some Sunday clothes on so we could go to Sacrament meeting together, in separate cars, of course. He needed to come home and sleep some more. We don't often get to attend church together because he's works A LOT of Sundays. He does have a lot of time off...it just never falls on Sunday. I feel bad for him...and for me. :)

Anyway, he offered to take Ally home with him after Sacrament meeting because she technically needed a nap around that time. I was hesitant to expect him to do that. Past experience has shown that it might backfire and she would not sleep at all, making it so he doesn't sleep. But he insisted...crazy boy. While on my way home, he called to ask where something was and said that she hadn't slept a wink. I felt bad, but didn't really want to say "I told you so". He slept a couple of hours after I got home....Ally ended up not sleeping ALL day. She had some form of separation anxiety or something that day.

I got a taste of some missionary work on Sunday. While sitting in the foyer during church, we saw a lady and her young daughter come in and stand for a while and then sit. Ally made friends with them. I had no idea who they were. Maybe they were there to visit a friend but hadn't made it in time to sit with the friend in the chapel. I didn't visit with them right away. After Brian and Ally left and the other girls went to class, I saw that no one was coming to talk to them, so I decided to be "brave" and go be friendly. I found out they were just visiting, but didn't know anyone. They had decided to come and "see what was up". It became apparent that they were not members. So I put on my extra friendly face and got the daughter excited to go with the other kids. We took her to primary and found her class. She is 9 so ended up in Courtney's combined 9-10 year old class. I was happy about that, because I knew Courtney would be friendly to her. Then I went to the missionary class with the mom, Lisa. I introduced her to the missionaries who jumped right in...

We checked on her daughter, Samantha, between classes and she told me that Sam loved to sing. I told her primary was the place for her then! Lisa said she would like to stay for the 3rd hour, so we went to Relief Society where the lesson was, of course, on Joseph Smith and the basic timeline of the beginning of the church. She had heard of Joseph Smith before. I'm not sure of her opinion of him. I found an extra manual to give her...she wanted to borrow it, I told her she could have it...Set her up with a Relief Society directory and afterwards, she mentioned that she used to have a Book of Mormon but did not any longer. She said she would like one, so we went to the library and found a copy for her. She seemed very happy and was very grateful that I had taken time to help her and show her around. I tried to introduce her to everyone I could and I had so much fun. In talking to Samantha afterwards, she seemed to really enjoy herself also. I told her that I hoped I would get to see her again.

I talked the missionaries later on and they had set up an appointment with Lisa for Wednesday morning at the church and they invited me to come. So I plan on going. I hope she doesn't back out. She lives in a town near Delaware, so she's not in our ward, and probably not our stake either. I'm not sure why she chose our building but I look forward to seeing her again hopefully.

Today the kids started their first full week back at school and Jessica informed us beforehand that she had a tummyache, like she might throw up. She didn't really look or act sick, so I told her to try to go to school and if she still felt bad, I would gladly come and pick her up. An hour and half later...I had 2 messages on my cell phone from the nurses office (I had an appointment that I had to turn my phone off for.) They insisted that Jessica said she was feeling like she was going to throw up and that she said she's felt that way for a couple of days now. This morning was the first I had heard of it. :) But I went and picked her up (she was not actually in the nurse's office when I got there, she had gone back to class.) As we were walking up our sidewalk, she was holding my hand and SKIPPING. The rest of the day, she did not act sick at all. She ate, she played, she wanted to wrestle and tickle with Brian. I told her "If you are going to fake sick, then you really should fake sick. Moan, groan, pretend to have no energy." Anyway, she's fine and will be going to school tomorrow. :)

I hope you don't find this blog too boring. I'm happy to write about daily stuff that goes on so close family and friends can keep tabs on us!


1 comment:

Bill said...

HI Julie,

I didn't find it boring at all. I commend your missionary activities and hope she comes back. Valerie would be proud of you, too.

Nothing new here. I went to a ward DI assignment this afternoon and worked cleaning and checking electronic stuff (vacuum cleaners, computers, etc.) and pricing it. It was hard, dirty work.

Mom stayed home and cleaned out the fridge, which it sorely needed. Tomorrow is the first day of our new meeting schedule. We go to 10AM.

More later.