Saturday, January 12, 2008

Saturday night and I ain't got nobody...

Well, I thought I would go for a bit of a musical title there, for you oldies buffs. The kids are all asleep and Brian is at work tonight. I do have a little someone keeping me company. We are dog-sitting for some friends who had to go away for the weekend. The dog is an 11-week old toy pug, named Roxy. She is an adventure, to say the least. I have not been around a puppy for a very long time, and when I did have a puppy, I certainly wasn't the one to take care of it completely (thanks, Mom). She has TONS of energy and has some really sharp baby teeth! Luckily, the owners gave us a crate, that I have to say has been a life-saver. I am learning quite a bit about puppies. For example, they are very unlikely to relieve themselves in a crate/carrier, because they are smart and don't want to be sitting in it. She will sleep in there also, but she will not sleep when she's outside of the crate... I mean, wouldn't you rather run around and chew on things and people?



Courtney and Jessica love to watch her. Courtney will pick her up, but Jessica keeps her distance. Ally does NOT like her so much. The only way Ally loves to see the dog is if I'm holding Ally or she is safe in her high chair. She freaks out when I take Roxy out of her crate. Roxy loves to nibble, which actually hurts quite a bit, so both girls spend a bit of time on the couch or on a chair while Roxy is out of her crate. They have bugged us to get a dog for a long time. This is a bit of a practice run for when we have a house. (I am never getting a dog while in an apartment.) So we'll see how the rest of the weekend goes.



So an update...The lady that I met at church last week who is not a member met with the missionaries on Wednesday morning at the church, so I went so she would have a "friend". Our ward's playgroup was also meeting so a friend of mine was sweet and took Ally while I met with Lisa and the missionaries. It was a very good meeting. I felt the Spirit very strongly in that room. She had had experiences in her life that were preparing her for this. She seems to be one that followed the promptings of the Spirit when it told her to do something that led her straight to the church, literally, even though she didn't know what was telling her to do it. She told the elders that she didn't need to pray about it, she already knew. I think that's what the missionaries call a "Golden" contact, right?

We met again on Friday night, this time with the kids, since she is a single mom and, at least for that night, I was too. I also thought it would be good for the kids to get involved a bit, even if was to "just" befriend Samantha. The lesson was supposed to be on the Plan of Salvation, but they changed it to the Word of Wisdom since she's a smoker. It was another good meeting but this time, since the kids were there, inlcuding Ally, who was up past her bedtime and quite cranky at points, it was a different kind of good. :) She will be at church again on Sunday and has promised to try really hard to quit smoking. She wanted us to give us hot chocolate or caffeinated sodas (she thinks those are just as bad...not quite sure why hot chocolate, but okay). In keeping with the "Do's"of the Word of Wisdom, I told her I would try to eat more fruits and veggies for a late night snack instead of chocolate. That's a huge thing for me, so wish me luck! She also expressed desire to get baptized but of course there is a bit of preparation that goes before that, so we'll see what happens, but YEAH! It's fun to be in on the beginnings of someone learning about the church.

So since we are dog-sitting this weekend, we haven't done much else this weekend. I have a picture of the dog on my camera, but having trouble transferring pictures still. I'm so frustrated.

Hope everyone has a great weekend! I'll post again soon, hopefully with pictures next time.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Julie I'm so glad you got a computer and you're back to blogging. I enjoy reading your posts and catching up with your family. I can't believe how old your girls are getting.